Lower Key Stage Two Chaffinch
- The lesson plans are designed to be 30 minutes in length for Years 3/4. There are follow-up activities to each lesson to increase the exposure time in a week
- Lessons are planned over a two year cycle to allow for learning in mixed age classes.
- The lessons are designed to be progressive and build on prior learning, moving from word to sentence level over the four years
- In Years 3 and 4 the same structures and grammatical knowledge are revisited in both cycles, however, the vocabulary is different.
- The lesson plans include ideas for support for the less able and to extend the more able
- The lesson activities are challenging, varied and interactive and develop listening, reading, speaking and writing skills
- Interactive whiteboard resources with audio support are provided; purchase of a set of storybooks and phonics book is a requisite to access the scheme and additional resources are recommended particularly for songs and rhymes
- The choice of vocabulary ensures exposure to all the key phonic sounds and ability to build sentences using grammatical knowledge
- Who teaches the scheme to ensure high quality lessons is at the discretion of the school but linguistic up-skilling and methodology training is available to support its delivery as well as detailed lesson plans linked to ready-made resource templates and audio recordings of stories and rhymes read by a native speaker
- It is expected that formative assessment in each lesson informs the planning and teaching of subsequent lesson plans.