Our goal is to provide an integrated, creative curriculum that enhances learning through the provision of enriching learning experiences.
Children enjoy learning through memorable learning experiences. For example, when learning about the Tudors pupils and staff dressed up for a Tudor evening which included a banquet and sleep-over in the school hall.
All children at Finchampstead Primary School follow a diverse and differentiated curriculum which meets the statutory requirements of the government as set out in the National Curriculum. Throughout the school teachers focus strongly on the essential skills of numeracy, literacy and ICT so that children are provided with a firm foundation for their future learning.
Our creative curriculum ensures that these essential skills are applied to all subjects in a variety of ways so that learning is effective and enjoyable both in and out of the classroom.
Learning is enhanced through the provision of enriching learning experiences. Trips and visitors play an important part in our curriculum as do our school grounds.
The school was rated "Outstanding" by Ofsted at its last inspection in 2012. Details of our most-recently published results can be found in the school performance tables that are published by the Department for Education. The Statutory Inspection of Anglican Schools (SIAS) that was carried out in 2012 also found the school to be "Outstanding" in all areas.
There is a good deal of information about the school here on the website, but you may also want to download our prospectus.
The School is a Church School set up voluntarily by the Church of England. It is financially aided by the state; hence its full title, ‘Finchampstead Church of England (Aided) Primary School’.
Parents over a wide area choose for their children to attend the school for religious reasons. School families are encouraged to support the Church aspect of the School by including themselves in the fellowship and community of the Parish Church, St. James’.
History of the School
Until 1857 the School was maintained by the Rector of the Parish in one of the small cottages which used to stand in the Churchyard, but which have long-since been demolished. In 1858 the present school buildings were provided by Mr. John Walter, then proprietor of The Times newspaper and patron of the benefice of Finchampstead. Each year the school celebrates Founder’s Day on 8th October which is John Walter’s birthday.
The Rector and Churchwardens were responsible for the School until 1925 when the Parochial Church Council purchased the buildings from John Walter's successors for the Diocese. The School has been extended over recent years and has now acquired the use of the School House on attached land. This has provided us with an extra classroom, a spacious staffroom and a resources room. In 2004 a new school hall was built which is used for a variety of purposes.
“Classrooms are welcoming, interesting and attractive environments which support learning extremely well”